Thursday, February 5, 2015

We've done it again...


Four Horsemen by Ruth Thompson
View more of her work at www.redrooart.com
We've gone and done it again.

This was the scene in our turnout in November 2013.

OMG THE GIANT BALL IS GOING TO EAT US!!!!!!!!!
Left to right: Apache, Cirrus (now Dancer), Red Hawk, Phoenix

Here's the scene from our turnout in February 2015.

OM NOM NOM
Left to right: Alta, Virga, Arcus, Apache

Now take a look at it this way:

WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM.
Left to right: Death, Conquest (aka Pestilence), War, Famine*
WE ARE EATING YOUR SOULS.
Left to right: War, Famine, Conquest (aka Pestilence), Death

I originally realized we owned the four horses of the Apocalypse when we thought our herd was complete with Apache, Cirrus-now-Dancer, Red Hawk and Phoenix.

In case you don't know what the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are, here's an excellent explanation from Wikipedia.  From the article sans footnotes:

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are described in the last book of the New Testament of the Bible, called the Book of Revelation of Jesus Christ to Saint John the Evangelist at 6:1-8. The chapter tells of a book or scroll in God's right hand that is sealed with seven seals. The Lamb of God, or Lion of Judah (Jesus Christ), opens the first four of the seven seals, which summons four beings that ride out on white, red, black, and pale horses. Although some interpretations differ, in most accounts, the four riders are seen as symbolizing Conquest, War, Famine, and Death, respectively. The Christian apocalyptic vision is that the four horsemen are to set a divine apocalypse upon the world as harbingers of the Last Judgment.

As described in the Bible, Conquest is the First Rider from the First Seal, and he rides the White Horse and carries a bow and a crown.  War, the Second Rider from the Second Seal, rides the Red Horse, carrying a sword.  The Third Rider is Famine, riding the Black Horse and carrying a set of scales.  Death is the Fourth Rider from the Fourth Seal, riding the Pale Horse, which in some circles means a pale green color.

Conquest is also known as Pestilence in some circles, depending on which version of the Bible you read.  It seems to have been called Pestilence as early as 1916.  This is due to a separate passage in Revelations 6:7-8, but it isn't clear if they are calling the First Rider Pestilence or the entire group as a Pestilence upon mankind.

Matt Frewer as Pestilence from Supernatural

Since the time we thought our herd was complete, Phoenix, who turned out to be a dog attacker, was sold to someone who had no problem with his drama queen-ish personality.  Dancer was the horse who bucked me off and caused my broken wrist.  I planned to keep him and send him for training (he was only 4 years old), but his original owner and our good friend wanted him back so badly that I sold him back to her.  Plus I still get to see him on a regular basis.  Red Hawk passed away in August 2014.

We had decided to switch to draft horses with Phoenix and Dancer.  Phoenix was a cross between a Percheron stallion and a Tennessee Walking Horse mare that I bred for and planned to train up and keep.  Dancer is a Friesian stallion (no relation) x Percheron mare that we bought from our friend, also where Phoenix was born.  We always called them brothers because they grew up together.  Apache and Red Hawk were our last gaited horses, and we plan/planned to keep them until they die.

We'd sold Phoenix, so we had bought a Friesian stallion x Percheron mare filly (Virga) for The Viking to train up and ride as I would ride Dancer.  Virga hadn't come to Arizona yet when Red Hawk passed and Dancer bucked me off.

So, at that point we only had Apache and Virga.  The same friend who bought back Dancer decided to sell her safe draft cross gelding because Dancer is now to be her carriage horse.  I decided to buy him, Arcus, because he is so incredibly safe and well trained.  The Viking would ride Arcus, although he'd be my horse, until Virga was trained.

Then Apache was showing signs of pain due to chronic and genetic hoof issues, so she is now retired.  We had found a bay Georgian Grande mare by the same sire Virga is by that we planned to buy.  However, I was looking on Craigslist for draft horse tack when I ran across Alta, a Belgian mare.  Due to time constraints and money, we decided to buy Alta instead.  Upon meeting her, I instantly knew she was going to be exactly what The Viking wanted in his second draft horse.

The other day, I took the above photo and realized we've gone full circle.  Somehow we're destined to be the owners of the Four Horses of the Apocalypse.  So I guess the Lamb of God (or perhaps the first living creature?) has to come to our place first to pick up the Horsemen's Horses before opening the seals.  Does this guarantee us a spot in heaven?  We could be the Horses' Guardians!

Conquest, War, Famine & Death, an 1887 painting by Victor Vasnetsov.

*Okay, so I know that I'm pushing it with the colors.  However, gray horses end up turning white over the years, and we knew Dancer was going to turn white eventually as his dam did.  According to scripture, Death rides a "pale" horse.  Since Apache has pink skin under her white spots and her eyes are pale blue, I figured she fit the Pale Horse criteria.  Well, close enough for government work anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment