Sunday, February 1, 2015

4-7-8


First, a shout out to ALASKA, one of my very favorite states in the U.S.!  Thanks for looking at my blog!  (Blogger statistics that tell you where people are who look at your blog are way fun.  Don't worry--it doesn't give me any private information about you.  Plus I'm not one to stalk others in private like that anyway.  I'll stalk you out in the open.)

Second, I am working on pages for the blog that explain each of our horses.  So that's kinda taking some time.  It's neat that Blogger has this option.

So, while I'm working on that, here is my first post of Unsolicited Advice.



Recently I ran across this article and I posted it on my Facebook page: How I Learned to Fall Asleep in Under 1 Minute.  I have a terrible time getting to sleep myself.  The article describes a method called "4-7-8" to help you fall asleep.  Be sure to read the entire article to learn why this works.  But basically, you breathe in for four seconds, hold your breath for seven seconds, and then you exhale for eight seconds.

I've found that this actually does work for me.  But I also found that you have to work with it.  Take the time to read the article and understand how it works.  I find that if I do the ritual, then take a couple of breaths in between, then do the ritual again, it really works.  I fall asleep within ten minutes or so.

Here are some tips I discovered when using the 4-7-8 method that really helped me out.

  • Be sure you're in a comfortable position in bed where you don't feel any muscle strain or stretching.
  • Be sure your face is not squished into the pillow, which will restrict your airway.
  • Try taking a few deep breaths before starting the method to prepare your lungs.
  • Drink some water so your throat is moist so you don't accidentally cough or have to swallow while doing the exercise.


from Sleep Junkie

Sleep has always been a problem for me.  I'm a Night Owl, not an Early Bird.  (This article actually talks about how the conditions could be genetic.)  Of course, this doesn't actually work in the "real" world.  It's one reason why I now work from home as a transcriptionist; I can work when I'm most productive without having to conform to the corporate world requirements.  I learned while I was in college that my best time to be awake was from around 8 or 9 am to 11 pm or midnight.  I try to keep that pattern going now.

I started reading about how to sleep better when I was in college due to several bouts of insomnia.  I have learned a lot about sleeping and how to get a good night's sleep.  These are the tips I learned that have actually made a difference in my life, and I'm sharing them so they might help you as well.

I also recommend this great article.  How to Sleep Better: Tips for Getting a Good Night’s Sleep  It's really in-depth and has a lot of great advice with scientific data to back it up.

Your bed should be used solely for sleeping or sex.  Treat your bed and bedroom as a sacred place.  Don't use it as you would use your couch or kitchen table.  Stay out of your room unless you're going to go to sleep or have sex.  If you need something from your room, go in and get it and then leave.

I do find that reading before I go to sleep is soothing for me, and some scientists have found that reading in bed before going to sleep is okay.  However, it's important to remember not to work in bed, don't talk on the phone in bed, don't play games in bed, don't watch TV in bed.  In fact...

Take the TV out of the bedroom.  Studies have shown that even though we may fall asleep to the TV, our brains keep working to try to process what it's hearing and the light it's recieving behind our eyelids.  This can cause us not to reach REM sleep, which is necessary for our brains to "recharge," to be ready for the next day.  If you don't believe me, try not watching TV while you're in bed to go to sleep for at least a week.  You will probably find you're more rested and able to face the day.

Don't watch TV or play video games within 30 minutes to an hour before bedtime.  For the same reasons above, it's best to turn both of those off and let go.  Even if you're in the middle of a big battle or the TV show hasn't ended yet, it's time to push pause or turn on the DVR so you can get some rest.  Set an alarm if you have to to remind you to shut down the electronics.

Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.  It's better to do this than to push yourself to stay up later or allow yourself to sleep in late.  If you feel tired during the day, feel free to take a nap, but only in your bedroom and in your bed.  Don't take a nap on the couch.

Put together a going-to-bed ritual.  Start shutting down at least a half an hour before bedtime.  Do things like turn off the TV, close the curtains, lock the doors, listen to soothing music (classical music or new age music designed to help you relax), do stretching exercises, put away projects you've worked on during the day.  Write down any ideas you have, lists you need to make, and/or the chores and errands you have to do the next day to get them off your mind.  Don't get on the computer or your cell phone; studies have shown that the light from these products stimulate your mind too much before bed.  You can even read a book if you'd like, and it's best not to use a backlit product such as an eReader when you do this.

Don't eat within a half an hour before bedtime.  Digesting food is a complex activity for our bodies, and it can make us restless.  If you are hungry, choose to drink a glass of milk, soy milk, or a full glass of water to fill your stomach.  Avoid sugar in your drink.  Decaf coffee or tea aren't necessarily good choices since they are natural diuretics, causing us to have to get up to urinate during the night.  Warmed milk is proven to help your body get ready for sleep.

Keep your bedroom cool.  While we all want to be warm and cozy when sleeping, it's best to keep your bedroom cool and then add and take away blankets.  Some studies say 65 degrees F, but the temperature can vary from 65 to 75.  Sixty five is really too cold for me.  Our house is kept at 70 degrees F at night.

Keep a small nightlight and a pad of paper and pen by your bed.  If you find your mind is racing with lists and things to do, turn on the nightlight and write these things down.  Then immediately go back to bed and try to sleep.  It's very important for you to use a nightlight as turning on a lamp or overhead light that makes you squint will further interrupt your brain trying to go to sleep.  Some clocks have small nightlights built into them.

White noise is your friend.  If you find you're listening to every single little noise out there, put a fan in your room or play music that is designed to help you sleep.  For some of us using earplugs isn't an option because we have children or need to be alert to our pets' needs in the night.  However, those noises can be heard over white noise, and you won't be jolted awake by them when the white noise is going.

Find a place for your brain to go if it's racing.  I actually start counting sheep if I have to.  I picture little cartoon sheep jumping a fence from a sunlit field into a moonlit field.  It is a good way for me to tell my brain to shut down, that I will take care of things tomorrow.  You could picture an ocean landscape, riding your bicycle peacefully on a forest path, or watching a fire in a fireplace.  Be sure your image is comforting and soothing to you, not challenging.

Accept if you're an Early Bird or a Night Owl.  This is a huge step.  If you understand that you're one or the other, then you will be better able to plan your sleep cycles.  I tried fighting my late afternoon/night prowling for my entire life.  Now I've learned to accept it and to work around it as best I can.  It doesn't always work perfectly, but at least I have ways of helping myself when it comes to sleep.

I hope these tips help you out when you need to sleep.  And now it's time for me to start my nighttime ritual.  Good night, sleep well, and sweet dreams!


No comments:

Post a Comment